Signs your AC needs to be repaired
You probably need an air conditioner repair if your unit:
- Isn’t turning on. This usually means a problem with the thermostat or a tripped circuit breaker. If you flip the breaker and it keeps tripping, don’t keep switching it back. You might overload your electrical panel.
- Is making odd sounds. A strange noise is the most obvious sign your AC needs a repair. If it’s a gurgling or hissing sound, you could have a refrigerant leak. A grinding or screeching noise usually means a problem with the air handler.
- Has weak airflow. If the air coming from your vents seems weaker than normal, you could have an issue with the blower motor or fan belt.
- Is covered in ice. Ice on your outdoor unit usually means you either have airflow issues or a refrigerant leak.
- Turns on and off a lot. Your AC should run for long periods of time. If it’s turning on and off sporadically, that could mean airflow issues or a problem with the thermostat. It could also mean you have an oversized unit that’s short cycling. In that case, you’re usually better off replacing your unit.
- Is surrounded by water. Water pooling around your unit typically means you have a clog in your condensate line, which is the pipe that removes condensation from your central air conditioner.