Signs your furnace needs to be repaired
You likely need to repair your furnace if it:
- Doesn’t turn on. This could mean an issue with your thermostat or a tripped circuit breaker. If you flip the breaker and it keeps tripping, don’t keep switching it back. You might overload your electrical panel.
- Is making an odd sound. Strange noises are never good. A gurgling or hissing sound could mean a refrigerant leak. If it’s more of a grinding noise, that could mean an issue with the air handler.
- Turns on and off frequently. Your heat pump should run slow and steady. If it’s turning on and off every few minutes, it could mean several things, including airflow issues or problems with the thermostat. It could also mean you have an oversized unit that’s short cycling, which means you should look into replacing your unit.
- Has water leaking from it. If there’s water pooling around your unit, it probably has a clog in the condensate line (the pipe that removes condensation from your unit).
- Doesn’t have strong airflow. If air is coming out of your vents is weaker than normal, that could mean a problem with the air handler fan belt or motor.