Signs your furnace needs to be repaired
You likely need to repair your furnace if it:
- Won’t turn on. This could mean a problem with your thermostat or a tripped circuit breaker. If the breaker keeps tripping, don’t keep switching it back. You could overload your electrical panel.
- Has weak airflow. If you’re not getting strong airflow from your vents, the problem could be a fan belt or motor.
- Is making strange noises. A weird noise, like a bang or scraping noise, is a red flag that your furnace needs a repair.
- Turns on and off frequently. Your furnace should run slow and steady. If it’s turning on then quickly shutting off, it could be a number of reasons, including issues with airflow or the thermostat. It could also be an oversized unit that’s short cycling, in which case you’d need to replace your unit with a properly sized one.
- Is blowing cool air. If you’re not getting warm air, there could be something wrong with your thermocouple or pilot light.
- Has water pooling around it. This most likely means the condensate line, which removes condensation from your furnace, is clogged (for condensing furnaces only).