Signs of a Mainline Clog
Your plumbing system, with all those pipes and drains, might remind you of a tree. The branches of your plumbing system are the smaller pipes that lead to your sinks and tubs. The mainline is like the trunk, and everything else is connected to it. If you have slow drains in multiple areas, there’s a good chance that the problem is in the mainline instead of one of the branches.
Drain clogging that’s in more than one sink isn’t the only way to tell if you have a clog. There are a few other signs you can look out for, too, such as:
- Backed up drains: It’s a homeowner’s worst nightmare–you flush the toilet and instead of being carried far away, the contents bubble right back up into the tub, sink, or any other drain in the house. That means something is keeping things from flowing correctly through the mainline.
- Water gurgling through the pipes: if you have ever tipped a jug of water upside down, you might have gotten a good picture of what a clogged pipe is like. When the clog blocks everything except for a small opening, the water will bubble and gurgle as it tries to make its way through.
- Slow draining sinks: We don’t know which is more frustrating, a traffic jam, or a clogged drain. Either way, when things slow down, it means there’s something blocking the way.
- Bad odors: Anything trapped in your pipes will collect bacteria, and that’ll lead to the odor that you smell. It’s healthier for your family to have sparkling clean pipes with no lingering bacteria.
You likely need a drain cleaning if you notice:
- Slow-draining or backed up water. This is the clearest sign your drain needs to be cleaned. If you have water backed up in more than one fixture, you probably have a clog in your main water line (not a secondary drain line).
- Gurgling or bubbling drains. Water shouldn’t make a lot of noise when is goes down your drain. If it does, that usually means it’s passing over or through a clog.
- Foul odors coming from your fixtures. If you have a clog, all of the food and waste that goes down your drain will just sit in and stink up your plumbing.
- Frequent clogs. A clog every once in awhile is normal. But if you find yourself calling your plumber to unclog drains regularly, you can probably expect a larger, more expensive drain clearing in the near future.
Rethinking DIY Drain Cleaning Methods
When we warn you away from chemical drain clearing products, we aren’t just trying to drum up more business. We’ve seen what lots of corrosive chemicals can do to pipes. While the cleaner is working on a clog in your drains, it’s also sitting in your pipes. They can corrode and rust a lot faster, which may mean having to replace your pipes sooner than you otherwise would have.
If you can’t solve clogged drains with a plunger and some elbow grease, it’s time to let a plumber handle it! We’ll speed up your slow drains without breaking your pipes.
Drain Cabling vs Hydro Jetting
You may be wondering what we use on backed up drains if toxic chemicals are off the table. Both of our drain clearing techniques are effective and gentle on your pipes. The first method is drain cabling. You may have heard the terms “auger” or “snake” instead. There’s a reason drain cabling has been used for many years to get rid of clogs. To put it simply, they work! We can use drain cameras to see what we’re up against and then target the problem spot.
Our second method is hydro-jetting. Water is the main ingredient in this technique. With enough pressure, the water can have the power to blast away thick tree roots, clogs, bacteria, algae, and much more out of the way. If you want a good, deep cleaning for your slow drains, there’s no better way to get it done.
Choosing Morris-Jenkins for Drain Clearing
At Morris-Jenkins, we’ll fix your clogged drains, but we’ve set out to do a lot more than that. We wanna make clog removal easier so that when you have backed up drains, you don’t have to deal with plumbing problems and a difficult company. That’s why we work around your schedule no matter what. We won’t charge you more for evening and weekend services, so go ahead and schedule an appointment whenever you want.
You’ll love the people on our team. Everyone who works here is the heart and soul of the company. You won’t find friendlier people anywhere! We all just want what’s best for your plumbing system. If you live in Mint Hill and you’re looking for a plumber to take care of your clogged drains, go ahead and give us a call. We’d be happy to set up an appointment to take a look at your drains!
Take advantage of our limited-time drain cleaning special – click here to schedule today!